When Ralph Reiter and his son, Harold, founded Reiter Dairy in 1933, milk sold for eight cents a quart. But the little dairy across the street from the University of Akron grew, nourished by employee pride and enthusiasm.
Ralph Reiter was a bit of an inventor, and put his skills to work in the Dairy. He pioneered the use of cellophane to cover the tops of the glass milk bottles, and invented an applicator to place rubber bands around the covering. Reiter Dairy was also the first in Akron to use the homogenization process.
During the 1950s and 60s, Reiter acquired more than 20 dairies around northern Ohio, and expanded into refrigerated and frozen food products. When they acquired a milk plant and distribution center in Springfield, they were able to expand their market to southern Ohio.
Reiter Dairy provides milk, flavored milk, juices, fruit drinks, cottage cheese, sour cream and chip dip to loyal customers throughout most of Ohio.